How can basic reading, writing and math classes help me?
Basic academic classes help you to build skills for the workplace. Employers look for workers who have reading, math and writing skills. Classes are offered at the adult schools and community colleges. Many of these classes are free.
Improving your reading, writing and math skills can help you:
- get a job, a better job or a promotion
- participate fully in the community
- help your children succeed at school
- access community resources
- prepare to continue your education at colleges and other training programs
Click on the questions below to discover next steps.
The first step is to choose which school you would like to attend. The schools may focus on different careers and have different levels and class schedules. Then contact the school to begin the enrollment process. Each school follows a slightly different process, but the steps may include the following:
- take a placement test
- meet with a counselor or transition specialist
- attend an orientation
- place in the appropriate level class
- begin classes